DOROTHY SIBSON was baptized at First English Lutheran Church in Syracuse NY and attended Sunday School there. She attended Delaware School and graduated from Central High School in Syracuse where she was a member of the Adelphian Sorority. She was in the May Day queen's court at Central High.
Dorothy worked as a switchboard operator at Pass & Seymour in Syracuse during the depression years. This is where she met her future husband. When business slowed, Pass & Seymour (which manufactured electric light fixtures with porcelain globes) laid off a number of its employees.
She attended night school to perfect typing skills and went to comptometer school. Eventually she went to work in a Dr. Lafayette's dentist's office on the 7th floor of the University Building overlooking Warren St. answering phones and receiving payments on bills.
Under her mother's tutelage she learned to knit, embroider, crochet, piece quilts and paint on china.
After her marriage to Frederick Sibson in 1934 and the arrival of her daughter, she didn't work. At Fred's death in 1965 she took jobs at the Dixie Hat Shop and Flah's department store in Fairmount Fair Mall. Following that she worked at a dress shop in Western Lights Plaza for a short time.
Dorothy volunteered for many years at Community Hospital in Syracuse in the medical instrument and sterilization area.